Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I’m delighted to announce the publication of a translated story, Trimurti, in Calquezine. The original story by Shri Pravinsinh Chavda is in Gujarati.

The title, literally “Three facets/statues” derives from the Hindu triumvirate of Gods, Lord Brahma (the creator), Lord Vishnu,(the nurturer), and Lord Shiv (the destroyer).

This tale of dawning awareness of a relationship and consequent measured grief at its close clearly ranks amongst the author’s finest works. Taking the boundaries of this story to another language, conveying this distinct measured sense without going overboard on the despair was the most difficult part of this translation.

http://tinyurl.com/r4pdll

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My deep admiration and heartfelt congratulations!

AmitL said...

Congrats!That was super..I got so engrossed I forgot I was at work and kept reading.hehe!:)

Curious query: How much time does it take you to do such a detailed translation?

austere said...

Thank you, mago. Means a great deal to me.

Thanks, Amit. Tons of time. Work on this began in 2003. Must have gone through atleast 10 overhauls over the years.

PQ said...

Congratz Austy!!! Your work must definitely be a work of perfection and a delight to read. I will be back to read it.

austere said...

PQ- thanks!
Will wait for your post-read comments...
:)

Kay said...

Congrats

Although late to comment, I loved it! 10 years to complete, phew, I don't think I'd have that kind of patience or do that the talent either..

Simbly suparb if I had to go all Mallu:)

austere said...

Mumbai 58- Completely it, sent it out over and over and over again. and again.refining it each time, feeling sick why it was not getting picked up..not the right timing, I guess...
thank you for reading. TY.

austere said...

* Completed it

quin browne said...

excellent.

work.
post.
accomplishment.

austere said...

Thank YOU.

*bows*