Wednesday, September 27, 2006

WHAT HO
As I stood there at the reception, wishing you, you know what I saw? That air conditioned room, bejeweled women in gracious silks, the hum of conversation and plush carpet underfoot – all of this fell away to an image of a lush field, past it the chimneys and sheds of that other factory beyond the concrete wall, but yes, lush green dotted with a placid cow or two and generous with sunshine to hurt the eyes. You were seated in that cubbyhole of an office on the mezzanine with the low roof and bay window overlooking the green, a somnolent drone of a wall-mounted fan that barely made a difference in that nasty heat. Fitting in somehow and scraping together the time for your studies along with your work as steno. The workload was horrible, but you managed, taking paper after paper as an external student. First graduation, and then that MBA. Of course I did cajole and wheedle, boss and tease, heckle you several zillion times. And despite the rather long hours that each promotion brought you, your smile remained as calm. Today, your bride wears a radiant smile, you are beaming, all dazzling sunshine. I hold back from breaking into a Cliff Richards number and hold in that catch in my throat as I realize I want you both to be as happy as happy, always.
But of course I didn’t say this, hitting you hard on the shoulder instead.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both. Aap meri shaadi mein bhi aaogi na?

Billy said...

You kept this to yourself? You did not speak?

austere said...

driftwood- OH YES! *dusting off the train time tables to figure out the best combo to get there whistling*

cherie- a wholesome display of affection, tis called. but nice comment, that what it is, huh?

abbagirl- I hit him and I mumbled something like guys be very happy. Was close to tears, you know.

Anonymous said...

Theek. Tay hote hi hum aapko phone karenge :D.

Billy said...

Oh, I know the feeling. My heart feels for you. It is a hard thing to get over. Yes, I know the feeling too well.

austere said...

abbagirl- this is someone i consider a kid brother, have heckled, bossed over and intimidated the poor child for something like 10 years..no sadness, only a happiness kind of tears.

austere said...

haan, diftwood. plus the saree and jewellery shopping and jasmine strands for my hair and alll that please. mysorepak, you said?